November 19, 2009

Quilting a Martha Quilt


(60" x 75")

I've been doing a lot of fleece quilts with my new long arm. I'm sort of tired of those---Yesterday, I loaded a Martha Quilt top that Cora had given me and had some fun! I started at the upper left corner with some peacock swirls and twirls--swooped into some leaves and tendrils---swooped into stem of feathers and then into some ferny leaves, etc. etc, etc. All over the quilt.

I used some of the new 80/20 Legacy batting. It quilted beautifully! Not as puffy as Hobbs 80/20. A flatter look to the quilting I think, but after washing it may puff up more.



I don't spend a lot of time doing custom quilting on 'scrappy quilts' like this top. Frequently I do pantographs, but it was great to let loose and just quilt whatever came to mind.




2 comments:

Mary Johnson said...

Very pretty! I like both the top and the quilting.

Lisa Boyer said...

Beautiful!!! Am I EVER going to be able to do that????