June 14, 2013

Little Pond

I've missed having a fish pond. We had one for years but the last time the raccoons and Egret raided the pond and ate all our friendly fish we decided to fill it in. That space has now become a flower bed for the Iris.


When I saw blogger friend Patrica's water barrels in her gardens I remembered that we had an oak barrel liner I had bought ages ago, but never used. So with that inspiration-------

 Here is the spot near the edge of the patio I decided would work. Here the plastic liner is partially in the ground. The old concrete statue is something I've also saved and moved around the yard over the years.  This idea lingered for weeks while my eyes healed. It's probably a good thing that the liner sat empty because it gave me a chance to see this was not an ideal spot for a little water feature.  Too much sun and a lot of debris from the trees landing inside the barrel. Time to move it.

This past week I found a new space on the north east side of the house. Near the front of the house and partially under the eves.  Just a bit of morning sun and shade for the rest of the day.

This is the beginning of a fun garden project! I'm using this tutorial for ideas


2 comments:

Dogwood Lane Rambles said...

Yippee you're on your way! That is going to look so great. Don't stress too much just enjoy and don't forget the little fish. Buy a whole bunch of feeder gold fish 3 or 4 will survive and those will be the truly hardy ones that will over winter successfully. Hopefully a snail or two will sneak in with your water plants - not the nasty garden variety but the water variety, you don't have to buy them they really do ride in on the plants!

Purple Pam said...

What a nice little addition to your garden. I was at a friends house and saw a pelican eating her fish out of their pond! He ate them all!!! Bummer! I no longer like pelicans.