May 30, 2014

Sewing---not Quilting

The sewing machine and  the embroidery machine are stitching along----I'm having fun using the different feet on my machine, putting in zippers, finishing seams, attaching snaps and ruffling yards of fabric! Sometimes I think my sewing machine only knows how to sew one type of seam, the 1/4" for piecing quilt blocks, I'm finding it can do many, many other things. (Love the Brother DreamWeaver)

It started with the Bionic Gear Bag and I've expanded to making these.  I don't' know what to call them except they are handy container things. I'll call them "Stuffies" for lack of a better name.




The one on the left is a in the hoop design made with the embroidery machine, and the one on the right is the rug mug I made ages ago that I didn't know what to do with. I will say, they are not worth the time to make them in the hoop on the embroidery machine.  Just layer two fabrics with some stiff batting or thick interfacing between the fabrics, quilt a cross hatch or meander design on the quilt sandwich and sew on a binding. You will have a flat little quilt.  Then add corner snaps or just sew the corners together, and you have a "stuffie".  Easy-peasy! ---whatever size you want!

*******************************************************
The Twirl Skirts

These little girls twirling skirts are gifts for my grand-nieces. What fun!


I'm learned to use the Ruffler attachment for my machine, and the edge finishing stitch and foot while making these.  


Some of the fabrics are from my stash, and some I needed to buy as I don't have very many 'brights' I'm finding out and I think these fun skirts deserve a splash of color!

I watched  ruffler videos on You Tube  to get the hang of using my ruffler attachment.  (what would we do without video instructions?)---You don't need a machine ruffler to make the skirts, but I felt it gave the skirt a nicer finished edge where the tiers join.

More later-----there is a quilt top waiting for me on the long arm---so back to quilting for awhile!

5 comments:

onlymehere said...

I love those twirly skirts! I may have to get a pattern for my granddaughters. I've been sewing up a storm too and loving it. I really need to find some time to post again but until then I'll enjoy looking at your creations!
Cindy

Unknown said...

Can you share where you got the in the hoop design for the fabric containers? I like it.

Thanks,
Susan

Unknown said...

Can you share where you got the in the hoop design for the fabric containers? I like it.

Thanks,
Susan

Purple Pam said...

I love your Stuffies. I wonder if I could make one in purple?

Your twirly skirts are great. They look so fun to make, too.

Dogwood Lane Rambles said...

I love how you're branching out and learning to use all those machine attachments. Tha's a goal of mine for the coming sewing season. I don't get a lot of sewing done in the summer ther's so many other things going on but once cooler weather sets in it's back in the sewing room for me.