July 07, 2010

Quilted Tiny Tumblers

I finished quilting this top that I made months ago with Pat Yamin's tumbler template using her Brooklyn Revolver which by the way she no longer makes or sell on her website. So, if you happen onto any other websites or ebay and find one of the original rotating Brooklyn Revolver cutting mat I suggest you snatch it up as they seem to be at a premium nowadays.

I've had mine for years, and it's great for cutting stacks of fabrics super fast. This is the 14" size cutting revolver. It's very sturdy and rotates so smoothly. Not like some of the copy-cat versions of rotating cutting mats. This is the real thing. Put some of those little sandpaper stickers on your templates and you can cut stacks and stacks of fabric up on the revolver ---fast! I cut 12 pieces of fabric at one time with the 3" tumbler template.



I used 3" tiny tumblers of 30's prints for this quilt. It measures approx. 58" x 45". I quilted it using a favorite Jodi Beamish pantograph. "Butterfly Gardens" with Superiors So-Fine thread and Hobbs 80/20 batting.



The quilt backing is pieced with some Little Red Riding Hood fabric I had in my stash. I was very tempted to go to the fabric store and buy several yards of new 30's print fabric to matchy-matchy the front prints, but I'm also determined to use up fabric that is in the stash if possible. I thought at first this particular print was not going to work, but after adding the red binding it turned out better than I imagined!



One more project--finished!





8 comments:

onlymehere said...

Angie, this turned out so nice, both the piecing and quilting! I could certainly use a revolver and will have to keep my eyes open for one. Right now I just turn my whole big cutting mat, lol! Have a great day.

Mary Beth said...

Angie, this one is on my list of GO projects. I love this pattern. Your quilt is very nice.

Jen said...

What a beautiful quilt! Kudos on using stash fabric. I know it's tempting to buy more, but pulling from our stash also opens our imagination and creativity up!

Mary Johnson said...

Very cute - I love tumbler quilts and am hoping Accuquilt will come out with a smaller tumbler die eventually too.

Have an Olfa rotating mat and it's not too bad -- works well enough for me.

Purple Pam said...

What a cute tumbler quilt. I love the backing. Nice quilting, as always. Another finish! Whooppee!

Candace said...

Gorgeous quilt, so homey and bright.

Abby and Stephanie said...

Those rotating mats are very hands. I've not seen a round one; I do have a small square one. Love your quilt!!!

pdudgeon said...

i just finished a larger tumbler quilt (which is at the quilter's now) and i loved how it went together so easily! i have the smaller tumblers too, so was eager to see how a quilt made from the smaller ones looked. thanks for sharing with us!