November 27, 2010

Thankfulness

I feel this picture of our granddaughter perhaps says it all.

We are over abundantly blessed with many things, which included being together to share a tasty Thanksgiving dinner. We did not do much cooking except for a few special side dishes as we opted to purchase our organic turkey, dressing, and all the trimmings precooked at our local grocery.

Some family members expressed some serious concerns with our disregard with "family traditions". I had my doubts too. After all, how could we not go shopping for that perfect turkey, select seasonings, perform ritual brining, slather butter, bake and cube dry breads, chop assorted vegetables, simmer broth, mix, mash and stir everything ourselves? and what if it didn't taste good?

Worry not! The dinner was perfection! Dare I say---perhaps better than what we could have cooked on our own. The turkey and dressing was moist and delicious, the mashed potatoes were buttery smooth! Tender hot rolls and loads of tasty gravy. Baked yams in a decadent orange sauce...oh, and yummy pumpkin pie is included.

It's not that I don't love cooking Thanksgiving dinner---but after many decades of doing this ritual dinner, and discovering that some one else can do it just as well, if not better ( and may I add for less cost)---This Grandmama is ready to embrace pre cooked Thanksgiving dinners in the future with no reservations! Oh my--this is a good thing!

I've not been quilting very much, but working on one of my "forever projects". It's the patriotic redwork & bluework stitchery, "A Patriots Dream".I am finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel as they say, and may actually get this finished by the new year.
A glimpse at some of the different sections.


I plan to do some hand quilting designs on this project to finish it up.



5 comments:

onlymehere said...

The picture is perfect! I can't seem to get my married children to help with family dinners so I'm about to go this route myself. If I ask them to bring a salad they bring bagged lettuce salad, if I ask for a dessert we get Keebler cookies! Clean up is left to me too so there's no joy in any of it anymore, especially since the dishwasher broke a year ago and I'm doing all the dishes by hand. My mom had all of us bring something and we all cleaned up so I don't know what I'm doing wrong here. Oh well, I love having my family around and guess I shouldn't complain but next year I think I'll go your route so at least I'm not baking all day (a thing I don't enjoy much anyway). Thanks for the idea.
Cindy
P.S. Don't mean to sound like a complainer bz my family is so great in many other ways, I just struggle with family dinners.

Shelley: the Dread Pirate Rodgers said...

Your Forever Project is looking great! But, boy, don't those small straight stitches and French knots take FOREVER?!? :-)

Val said...

I say the easier the better! And I love your project that you are working on.

Candace said...

Seems like a lot of people broke with traditions this year as did we. We usually have a group of over twenty, but they scattered this year and our group was down to 7 or 8. We went to Cracker Barrel, had a nice dinner with way less work, saved a bunch of money and then had breakfast with some of the travelers, and snacks and desserts after dinner with the ones who were left. It was a nice day.
Love your big stitchery project, it's beautiful.

Purple Pam said...

Love that embroidered quilt. It is gorgeous!

I like the idea of someone else making Thanksgiving dinner for me. We downsized to a turkey roll this year. It was okay, but I prefer the cooked bird. I like that your food was good. That is what I have worried about if I bought a meal from the grocery store. One friend did that and their meal was not very good. I guess it is like making it yourself, some years are great and some years are not so great! The best part of the meal for me is that all the family is together. Maybe next year we should try Mexican food. All our family likes it. Why not?