February 15, 2010

Design Wall Monday

Well, I made it. Just barely under the wire---I'm actually going to post what's on the design wall before midnight!--on Monday. I finished the String Quilt top this past week and quilted it on the long arm. I've never attempted Dawn Ramirez Dwirling technique, and thought this would be a good quilt to test it out.



It took me about 4 hours and 9 bobbins of Perma Core thread. The quilt is 85" x 72" and it is heavy feeling, even though I have Legacy batting in it. Legacy 80/20 is not quite as thick feeling as Hobbs 80/20. Yet the quilting show up well.

This is the back.



Click here to see my Dwirling video.



I can see the appeal of Dwirling, especially for scrappy quilts like this one.












Even though it's not very noticible I did add more log cabin diamonds to the wall hanging. I've added a flannel tie dye quilt top to the design wall this week. It's a UFO that has been stored away for years. It's time to get it finished---- Jana, just put on your sunglasses! (grin)





10 comments:

Amy said...

Your quilt looks great. Good job on the machine quilting. I have Dawn's DVD. She is a wonderful teacher.

taylorsoutback said...

Your quilt is wonderful...love the movement that is created by your quilting design...
Thank you for sharing.

Diane said...

I like the "dwirling". I need to get that DVD.

Mary Johnson said...

The dwirling looks great on the string quilt. It's one of my favorite designs to quilt on these.

Anonymous said...

Angie, I love string quilts! I've made a couple and definitely want to make more! The quilting looks terrific!

I have to ask though, how you made your design wall. I am in desperate need of one!

Robin said...

Beautiful string quilt, and your quilting is fabulous!

Purple Pam said...

That dwirling design is great. I like the bright colors of your unearthed UFO. Keep going on your diamond log cabin. It looks like it is getting bigger.

Darlene said...

Love the tie dye quilt. Flannel?? I bet that is going to be one cozy quilt.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

The Dwirling is great - adds such nice texture to that quilt!

AMIT said...

Its really wonderful design.

free classified india