March 25, 2013

Redwork Quilted

I finished quilting the redwork alphabet quilt yesterday, and have started sewing on the binding.  I have had the machine embroidery blocks forever.  I used some fabric from our Remnants Martha fabrics for the sashing and borders and added a striped binding. This will go in our Martha donation quilt stack.

I sometimes struggle with what designs to use on embroidery quilts. Because this is basically outline type embroidery instead of dense fill I decided to stitch over it. I used the Circle Lord Baptist Fan design and very fine white thread. Essential Pro from Connecting Threads. Hobbs 80/20 batting.

Note: Oh-no! I just checked with Connecting Thread when I posted the link to Essential Pro, their long arm thread---and they are discontinuing it! So, last chance if you use this thread. BTW: I use it and have had no problems running it on "Polly". I like the weight and low sheen. Oh, and the price too!!!
See my blog blurb about this thread Here.





All the time I was doing this, I hoped I had placed the letters and rows correctly! 
I kept singing the Alphabet song!!! 





5 comments:

clbalb said...

This quilt is so beautiful. You are so talented.

Susan said...

It's beautiful! (I would have had to do the same thing with singing the song to make sure the letters were placed correctly! LOL)

Patrica said...

I know what you mean about singing the alphabet song. Is there any other way to keep those letters straight? This is such a nice donation quilt someone will be thrilled to receive it.

Shelley: the Dread Pirate Rodgers said...

I've always loved Baptist Fan! You did such a wonderful job, Angie.

It must have taken quite a bit of thought to finally decide to quilt over all the embroidery. It came out beautifully.

Purple Pam said...

I like your quilting on your embroidery quilt. The Baptist Fan is one of my favorite quilting designs.

Funny you should mention the Alphabet song. That is what I sing to the babies when I am trying to quiet them down so they will fall asleep. Last week I had both in my lab while I was singing the Alphabet song. They both fell asleep. Then I tried to figure out how I was going to get out of the rocker and put them both down in their beds to sleep.