May 14, 2010

Orange Dragonfly

This orange dragonfly---called the Flame Skimmer has been flitting around the east side of the hill below the house for weeks and I've been trying to get a good photo. He sees me, and takes off. Yesterday when I came home from shopping---there he was. I stopped the car, grabbed my small Sony Cyber Shot I carry in my purse. I got this picture. (click on the pic.)



The lace in his wings is amazing.

Some facts about Dragonflies:
Dragonflies are heavy-bodied and usually larger than damselflies; their huge eyes are very close together and they are strong fliers. At rest, they hold their wings out flat to the sides, or slightly forward and downward.
Flame Skimmer
Libellula saturata
Size: large; length 52-61 mm
Male: all red-orange including the inside halves of its wings. The thorax and abdomen are unstriped, the eyes, face, legs, stigma and appendages are all red-orange; the wings are reddish out to slightly beyond nodus (slight bend in wing) with a red streak along the leading edge

Female: not as colorful having an orange streak along the leading edge of wings only
Behavior: hawks insects from perch and holds it wings out flat when at rest
Habitat: ponds, lakes, slow streams, pools of rivers
SW flight period: February - December


5 comments:

Trish said...

What a beautiful photo! Congrats on finally capturing a great photo of the dragonfly.

SewCalGal said...

What an amazing photo! National Geographic moment! Congratulations. I've always loved Dragonflies. Now I need to do some searching to better understand damselflies vs dragonflies. Hymm. Maybe you can share insights with some photos!

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

SewCalGal said...

What an amazing photo! National Geographic moment! Congratulations. I've always loved Dragonflies. Now I need to do some searching to better understand damselflies vs dragonflies. Hymm. Maybe you can share insights with some photos!

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

Lyn said...

Very Pretty Photo!! They are fun to quilt too...Something new to try!!

Abby and Stephanie said...

Worthy of framing. Beautiful.